Thursday, December 16, 2010

Moving In




Sorry for the delay in posting! T. and I have spent the past several days moving into our house. It’s beautiful and quickly beginning to feel like our home. There are some stark differences from our housing experience in the States or Spain.

Japanese houses are fragile. It is a bit shocking how easy these homes can get dinged or damaged. Slippers/socks are worn throughout the house to protect the wood, tatami or flooring. No holes are to be put in the drywall. Etc. Very different from our Spanish house where everything was concrete and tile.

Recycling is hardcore! We’ve always been avid recyclers but the Japanese take it to a new level. There are up to six different classifications, certain items that are picked up once a month, everything must be cleaned, etc. It’s so complex that I actually had to take a trash class so I am aware of the regulations. I’m still waiting for our trash to reappear in our driveway with a memo telling us what we didn’t do properly.

Waxed floors and socks are not a good combo. This is evident by the bruises and pain in my back and hip. Also to be noted, do not try to walk down steps while half asleep.

Japanese leases have interesting clauses. The first one is no shoes in house. I still don’t understand why the houses are made so fragile but whatever, I can adapt. The second one is even better. We will only use Japanese toilet paper. We asked the Housing lady and she said they ran a test and Japanese toilet paper breaks down easier for the septic tank. Interesting!



The house has some great features. I’m quickly falling in love with the front  entry shoe storage. No need to find a place in the bedroom and they are all put away neat and orderly. I’ve also grown to love the bathroom. You just shut the door, shower, steam it up and bathe. Our tub also has a unique feature where it will keep the temperature consistent once it’s full. 

Let the sunshine in! Japanese homes have lots of windows allowing for natural light. It was easy to hole away into our Spanish home with its heavy blinds. Here, my body has begun to adjust itself to the cycle of the sun. 

Being a Japanese mover is a dangerous profession.  I was scared to think of the safety regulations that were being broken by the movers. Moving all our large, heavy furniture in only their socks! They didn’t seem to have a problem with it but for me, I would’ve been on my back with bruises again.

That’s all for now! There’s still boxes waiting to be unpacked and we have another trip to the Japanese dental clinic today. Yes, that’s a whole other story by itself…

1 comment: